Day 76- September 22., 2008

Day 76
September 22, 2008
Drove from the WalMart Parking lot in Mountain Home, Idaho to
Provo, Utah

We had a nice comfortable night in the WalMart parking lot. It was either pretty quiet all night or we were all so tired we didn't hear the noise.

We had a beautiful day for our drive from Idaho to Utah. It was sunny and warm and there was very little traffic. For the most part our drive through Idaho was a lot like our drive through Oregon. We saw lots of sagebrush and brown mountains, with an occasional green area where they irrigate. All of the pictures were taken from inside the motor home driving on some very windy roads, so it's amazing that any of them turned out good enough to post. If you look really close, you may see what look like spots on the pictures. That's DEAD BUGS!!! Teeheehee



Just check out this beautiful Idaho blue sky.



The contrast between the brown mountains and the blue Idaho sky was fantastic. You can see what a difference there is in the areas that are not irrigated and the areas that have been irrigated.



This is a farm/ranch in Idaho. It isn't the typical farm you think of in WV since there is very little green, but it has a beauty all of it's own. Irrigation is very big in Idaho and Utah. We saw lots of those wheel and pipe "thingys" that water acres of fields at one time.


We also saw quite a few windmills. You will have to enlarge this picture or look really close, but you can see the windmills in the distance. This was taken in Idaho, but we have seen a lot of these type windmills on our trip.




This was also a farm in Idaho. It looks more like what we think of as a farm/ranch. It was so peaceful looking with the cows and stream. A big change from all of the brown we had been seeing all the way through Oregon and Idaho.


This is farmland on the river in Idaho. I love the green against the brown background of the mountains.



This is also some of the irrigated farm land in Idaho. Love the GREEN!!!




We saw lots of these very large square hay bales in Oregon and Idaho. I wondered why they would make such large square bales when I have been used to seeing the large round bales. I was told that round ones are going to be outlawed in WV!!! I asked why and they told me because the cows could never get a square meal!! Teeheehee :>) Had you going, didn't I???



I think this is what they call a Butte in Oregon, Idaho and Utah. This one is in Idaho. Do you know the difference between a butte and a butt?? An E on the end!!! LOL



Another view of the BUTTe...................................... LOL




I wanted to document that the price of diesel has come down AGAIN!!! $3.99 is better than the $4.01 we paid last time.


This was taken in Utah, which also had a lot of desert type land everywhere they don't irrigate.








This was taken on the drive around Salt Lake City towards Provo, Utah. We drove through a beautiful Canyon and the fall colors were just beautiful especially after seeing so much brown desert areas over the past few days.



This was also taken in the Canyon on the way to Provo, Utah



Another view of the mountains in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Very unique, huh?




This was also taken in the Canyon area outside of Salt Lake City.


And yet another view of the beautiful fall colors in the canyon.





I kind of took a picture of the window in the motorhome as I was taking this picture. I saw the mountain and Merrell was driving so fast that I didn't have time to aim it any better. I still thought it was a pretty picture so decided to post it anyway. This was also taken in the Canyon as I'm sure you can tell by now.


Another mountain in the Canyon we traveled through.



I know you can't really see the lake in this picture. It was kind of hazy, so the picture didn't turn out too well. This is the Salt Lake that Salt Lake City was named for. The edges of the lake are white salty looking areas similar to sand, but not as clean looking.


When I saw this wagon, I thought about all of the pioneers and the hardships they must have endured in order to settle this harsh land we have been traveling through. I know that I have a greater understanding of what they must have gone through. We have been traveling in comfort and it still seems like it takes forever to get from point A to point B in this vast land. I wonder how many of us would have been able to do what they did? I also wonder if any of them ever said "why am I doing this"?



This is part of the mountain range that surrounds Salt Lake City. It has a very "unreal" look. Some of the mountains have reminded me of the painted backdrops that they use in theaters. They look real, yet "unreal".


This is a farm at the base of the mountains that we saw in a distance all across Utah. Of course, it has a barn!!! :>)

And, LAST, BUT NOT LEAST, I could not post without adding some Utah BARNS!!! LOL

















I know I have posted a lot of pictures today, but it was just so hard to choose which ones and without seeing all of the different views, it's hard to really visualize the land we are traveling through. It's as much for my benefit as anything. I go back and look at the pictures and remind myself where we have been and all of the wonderful things we have seen. We are truly blessed to have been able to take this trip.

Tomorrow it's Salt Lake City and the Mormon Temple.

Catch ya later,
Love, US