Day 61, September 7, 2008,

Updated September 9, 2008 with pictures


Day 61
September 7, 2008
Baby Nugget Campground
Nugget City, Yukon Canada

We are leaving the campground this morning and Merrell stopped outside their WiFi station so we could get online and check our mail. We had a wonderful day yesterday. The weather was beautiful and the scenery was great. They also have the fall colors here in Canada. Not as vibrant as they are at home, but with all of the green pines and waterways, the yellow and little bits of red made for a beautiful drive.

On our way into Alaska the weather was rainy and we missed the Alaskan sign, so we stopped on the way out of Alaska from Skagway and some nice people took our picture in front of the sign. Take a really close look at the picture and see if you notice anything strange. Well, anything strange other than us!!! LOL


Now I will tell you the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey says!!! We got to the top of the steep mountain where the sign was and Merrell pulled off of the road so we could get out and take pictures. I was hurrying up (Yes, I was) and putting my shoes on. We got out and took some pictures on our own and then two ladies came to take pictures and offered to take one of all of us with the sign. They took our pictures and we took theirs and off they went. When we went back to the camper and I started to get in, I raised my left foot to put it on the step and guess what I had done?? Two different sandals. Now, mind you they both matched my outfit. teeheehee Everyone else was already in the camper and I was laughing so hard they came to the door to see what was wrong. I was laughing so hard I couldn't tell them for a minute. I will probably never live that one down and it's immortalized in pictures and on my ONLY picture of us with the Welcome To Alaska sign. Only me, right??? Like Carolee said. I made a memory.............

We are leaving here and going down the Cassiar Highway (Route 37) from Nugget City to Iskut or somewhere around there. Maybe further. We just figured we should let you know our itinerary since we don't have cell service and may not have internet access again today or tomorrow. Just depends on how far we go today.

Catch ya later,
Love, US

The South Klondike Highway connects with the Cassiar Highway (Yukon, Canada) which in turn connects with the Yellowhead Highway which connects with Rt. 1 which takes you to the Canadian/Washington border. Merrell wasn't sure about going down the Cassiar because he had heard there were some bad patches of road, but someone told us that it had been fixed and wasn't bad. Well, the first 100 miles I think (well, I know!!) Merrell was regretting his decision to go that way. It was a little slow going, but it was really pretty too. After we passed Jade City, the road started getting better and it ended up being one of the best roads we had been on for a long time.



This was taken on the Cassiar Highway and shows how narrow and windy the road is.



I must have been bored to take a picture of my own feet!!!



We went up and down a lot of hills. The leaves are starting to turn and winter is on the way.





Another view of the narrow windy Cassiar Highway


We actually ran into good road that had LINES!! and was two laned. Merrell was happy.



More water. I think this made two gazillion bodies of water we have seen.



We stopped at Jade City on the Cassiar Highway. I loved this chess set. It was green jade and a pink stone I think they called Rhodite? I asked the price and they said $5,000 (she said they had sold two sets like it in the past). It was sooooooooooooo pretty.


Merrell looks right at home with a $5,000 chess set, doesn't he? It made me want to learn to play. Teeheehee