Day 50-August 27, 2008

August 27, 2008
Day 50
Leaving Tok, Alaska and the Sourdough RV park

We are leaving Tok as we speak (or is that type??). I finally got the problem resolved with my AT&T Laptop Connect card, so anywhere in the US that we have cell service, I can get online. I won't be able to be online in Canada, so we will definitely be incognito unless the campgrounds have free WiFi. We should be back in Alaska at Haines by Friday or Saturday, so I should be able to check in. Our cell phones won't be used in Canada unless it's an emergency and we HAVE to use them.
It's hard to believe our time in Alaska is coming to a close. It has been the experience of a lifetime and we have all enjoyed it so much. The people here are very friendly and helpful. It's a whole different kind of life, but it has made me really appreciate our home and all of the conveniences we have that we take for granted. So many people here live in small "shacks" as we would call them at home. From what we have seen, more and more people are moving here and there are new homes being built around the larger towns. The price of everything here is higher than at home too.

There are many vacant and abandoned building along the highways. I guess the people just couldn't make it here and left for bigger and better things. I don't know why else there would be so many empty places. Lodges and campgrounds just shut down and left sitting. Some look like they have been empty for a long time.

Well, Merrell has filled up with diesel and we're about ready to roll towards the border. Diesel was $5.35 here in Tok. It was cheaper near Anchorage. Regular gas was $4.69.

Catch ya later,
Love, US


This is the office of the Sourdough campground that we stayed in at Tok, Alaska




This sign at the gift shop in Tok caught my eye. Alaska sure feels like a foreign country. I found myself saying "when we get back to the states" and knowing all the time we were in the 49th state. :>)



Carolee and Chuck at the display of sleds that they use in Alaska. The one directly behind them is the one they use for the Ididarod races.


These are puppies of the breed of Alaskan dogs that they use for the Ididarod races. I just assumed they used Huskies (like in the movies and on the post cards) but these dogs are bred to be faster. They were also at Tok next to the gift shop and sled display.





We were still in Tok, Alaska when we took this. We were just getting ready to head out for Haines Junction. Of course, Merrell and Chuck spied the old jeep and had to take a gander. I kind of liked it myself.


Now this one is the one I liked. I love OLD trucks and would absolutely love to have one of my own. I think I would rather have a RED one, but I would take this one too. Check out the roof of the gift shop in the background. They actually get on top of it and mow it!!!! What a sight that would be. They sell postcards showing him mowing it and I bought one just so you wouldn't think I was lying. Teeheehee Can you just imagine your better half telling you he would be back in three hours, that he was going out to mow the roof!!! LOL



A moose was right beside the highway on our way from Tok, Alaska to Haines Junction in Canada. We were in Canada when we saw him. He was getting ready to pose for me and the air spitter valve (don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about?) on our motor home made it's loud noise and scared it away. I still got a picture and I guess that's all that matters.


This picture was taken from the passenger seat in the front of the motor home and it's not as clear as I wish it was, but it shows the beautiful fall colors against the water and mountains. We were in Canada when this was taken.


I think we have taken a gazillion or more pictures with water and the mountains, but they are just so pretty that we can't resist. We were also in Canada when this was taken.



The further we went into Canada the more pronounced the fall colors became. It was a beautiful drive.


This shows a mixture of the colors we saw on the drive to Haines Junction. I don't know what the short puffy stuff was in the very front, but it was really pretty when you saw it in "person". The picture doesn't do it justice.



Another water picture, but I couldn't resist. I think we each took close to 300 pictures on the drive to Haines Junction.



I just caught this out of the corner of my eye on the left of the road. The yellow is Aspen.



I just barely got a picture of this teensey tiney church that was sitting in the middle of nowhere. We were traveling pretty fast and I just barely saw it before we were totally past it. It is really tiney and very fancy for where it is. I'm not sure of the name of the church. I could look it up in the Mile Post book, but I will probably forget to do it!! :>)