Day 34-August 11, 2008

Day 34
August 11, 2008
Valdez, AK Eagles Nest Campground

Glacier tour on the LuLa Belle Boat
Prince William Sound

We had heard about the boat tours that take you out to one of the glaciers that border on the sea, so we decided to take one of the tours. The one we took had been recommended by people we met in Chicken, AK. I sure am glad we decided to do it. The only words I have to describe it is "AWESOMELY AWESOME". Glacier National Park in Montana was beautiful and it's still my favorite overall, but I don't know anything that could top our trip on the boat. On the way out to the glacier, we saw sea otters, sea lions, whales, dolphins, puffins (not sure I spelled that right) which are colorful birds that nest in the rocks and swim in the sea. We saw mountain waterfalls, the end of the Alaskan Pipeline and all of the huge storage tanks. It was a 7 hour tour, so we really got to see a lot.

The boat had a lower exterior deck, an enclosed lower area with booths where you could get coffee and snacks. It had an upper exterior deck and then the "crow's nest" at the very top. I was on all of the levels at one time or another, but Carolee and I spent most of our time on the upper exterior deck taking pictures. It was a beautiful sunny day and the Captain of the tour boat talked nonstop (He talked more than Carolee and I put together, if you can believe that!!!) :>) He was a great tour guide and I sure wish I could remember half of what he told us.................
The Captain was really good about stopping to let you take pictures of all of the wildlife. The hardest thing to get a picture of was the whales. They just wouldn't co-operate and stay up long enough to get good pictures.

Anyway, I posted some of my favorite pictures. I also posted some of "us" just to prove that we were there!!! It sure was hard deciding which ones to post. We took a LOT of pictures. Between Carolee and I we probably took 400 or more. :>)

When we finally got out to the glacier, I just stared in awe. I can't explain it and the pictures can't show it, but it's an almost reverent feeling if that makes sense. All of the white snow/ice and nothing but water as far as you could see. It was so quiet and still, for want of a better word. When I saw all of the ice bergs floating the first thing I thought of was the Titanic!!! LOL
We all thoroughly enjoyed our day and would recommend the tour to anyone who is planning on going to Valdez.




Merrell and Donna on the Lula Belle boat in front of the Columbia Glacier












The Sea Otters were sunning themselves in the water and didn't let a little thing like a boat load of people disturb them.







The Sea Lions were also sunning themselves, but they like the dry land.











I caught the "tail" end of the whale diving. No pun intended. Teeheehee









This is a part of the Columia Glacier








This is also a part of the Columbia Glacier










Another part of the Columbia Glacier








This is also part of the Columbia Glacier







Ice bergs that have broken off of the Glacier and are floating in the sea









Another shot of the Glacier







Another angle









I loved the ice bergs








Ice bergs again










Chuck and Carolee in front of the Glacier








Donna and Carolee in front of the Glacier








Donna and Merrell and the Glacier