Day 93, October 9, 2008

Day 93
October 9, 2008
Drive from Queen Creek to Show Low, AZ

We left Queen Creek around 10:30 a.m.. We were all tired from the long day yesterday. We picked up Rt. 60 and took it to Globe, AZ and from there it was Rt. 60 and 77 to Show Low, AZ. We stopped in Globe at a NAPA store and one of the employees told Merrell about a canyon on Rt. 60/77 that they called the little Grand Canyon. Well, let me tell you it was absolutely wonderful. The drive was up a winding road that circled around and around. You could see the roads for miles behind and in front of you. The colors of the canyon walls were just beautiful. It definitely rivaled the Grand Canyon for beauty. Because we were in the RV and could stop and take pictures when we wanted we all actually enjoyed it more. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is traveling this way. I know the pictures won't do it justice, but maybe you can get an idea of what I am talking about. I was going to put them in better order, but I was uploading the pictures as we were driving to Santa Fe today and I just didn't get around to organizing them. It's been quite a drive today too, so I will be posting pictures of today's drive sometime!!




Chuck and Carolee at the rim of the Salt River Canyon. Believe me it was WAY high!!

Salt River Canyon Arizona overlook








Salt River Canyon Arizona. There were two different indian reservations within the Canyon. One was San Carlos Apache and the other was White Mountain Apache. I almost missed the second sign, so it's not a very good picture. I was hoping we would see some cowboys and indians on our drive, but the closest we came was a couple of horses in a field!! :>)



This house was on the road into Show Low, Arizona where we stayed in the WalMart parking lot!!! I love Victorian style homes. I think this was an office building, but it was still beautimous!!



This was the largest, busiest WalMart any of us had ever seen. It had a huge parking lot and it was almost full and people were coming and going all of the time.



Salt River Canyon Arizona. I zoomed wayyyyyyyyyyyyy in to get a picture of the water.



The road through the canyon wound round and round the mountain side and if you looked back (or held your hand out the window of the rv with the camera in it) you could see and get pictures of where you had been and in some instances where you were going to go to!! LOL



Looking down the canyon valley towards where we had been and the bridge we had crossed.



I saw this cave a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way across the canyon and zoomed in to get a better look. I hoped to see a bat or a mountain lion or some such thing. All I saw was a dark hole. :>)


This also looking back down the canyon valley towards where we had been just a little while before. It was amazing to look back and see so many SMALL roads.




We stopped at an overlook in the canyon and took this picture across the canyon mountain range.


Another view looking back towards the canyon road.



Isn't this a KEWL double BUTT or BUTTE??? Teeheehee



Donna with the Salt River Canyon walls in the background. I look cold, don't I? I wasn't. I was scared!!! There was a drop off behind me.....................



Merrell took a picture of me videoing and Carolee snapping pictures at one of the Canyon overlooks.



Carolee and Donna sitting on the rock wall at one of the overlooks when we first went into Salt River Canyon.


Merrell and Donna sitting on the rock wall with the beautiful canyon in the background.


Merrell didn't want to leave "Good Ole Girl" out of the pictures. NO, I'm not talking about me. It's the name we gave the RV. LOL



Carolee was so excited to see the beautiful views she forgot to put her shoes on before she went outside to start snapping pictures!!! At least I had shoes on, even if they were two different ones!!



Carolee and the beautiful view in the Canyon. You can't see it, but right behind her is the steep canyon drop off. I WOULDN'T GO NEAR IT!!!



Big Cacti (I think that's the plural of Cactus???) We saw lots of them on the drive between Queen Creek and Globe, AZ. Some really big ones, but I took so many pictures it was hard to find the ones I wanted to post. :>)

Well, we're almost to the RV park in Santa Fe. I'll sign off until next time.

Love, US