Day 85, October 1, 2008

Day 85
October 1, 2008
Yosemite National Park, CA

We all had a good night's sleep last night. It was very quiet and peaceful in the Visitor's Center parking lot. LOL I think there was only one other motor home camping there. It was pretty chilly when we got up, so we had to run the furnace for a few minutes to warm it up. The summit of the road across Yosemite is over 9,500 ft. high, so it was quite a drive. Merrell said the grade was probably about 8%. Maybe 9% in a few places. We did a lot of driving up and then driving down. It was a beautiful drive, especially the first half of the park on the Lee Vinings (the town close to the entrance to Yosemite).

We are going to see the giant Sequoias tomorrow. We are in an RV park close to the entrance to Sequoia National Park. I can't wait to see them. I've seen pictures, but I'm sure it will be much better to see them in person (or is that in tree??? LOL)



This is the road we drove over in Yosemite. High, steep and SCARY!!!



High, rocky mountainside in Yosemite.






Carolee and Chuck at one of the lakes in Yosemite.



Carolee and Chuck in Yosemite



Yosemite lake. Isn't the water a beautiful shade of blue?


Another view of the Yosemite lake



Merrell at the lake drinking his coffee.





Carolee and Chuck at one of the HIGH overlooks in Yosemite.



Chuck took this picture of the motor home at one of the overlooks in Yosemite. Those two SMALL people beside it are Merrell and Donna




Donna at one of the lakes in Yosemite



Donna, Carolee, Merrell and Chuck at one of the lakes in Yosemite




Pond and rocks in Yosemite National Park



The pictures just can't show how high up we were. You will notice "NO GUARDRAIL". I spent a big portion of the day with my face hid in my left hand and my camera stuck out the window just hoping I could get some good pictures but too afraid to look because it was sooooooooooo far down!! :>)


I didn't mind it at all when the road was like this. Trees on both sides and I wasn't able to see if we were high up or not!!





This is one of the waterfalls in Yosemite Park. It was WAY high up on the side of the mountain across a big deep ravine from where we were standing to take pictures.




This was quite a steep grade and one again NO GUARDRAIL. At least it was on Merrell's side!!!



To me, this doesn't even look real. Hard to believe I took it out of the motor home window. It was one of the prettiest places in Yosemite (at least I think so). The sky is so blue and the contrast between sky, clouds, grey mountains and green trees was awesome. I'm not going to be able to print even 1/10 of the pictures we have taken (I haven't counted, but we take an average of 300 pictures each per travel day, so multiply that by 85 days!!) but I think this one is one that should be printed.



I loved the way the water sparkles in this picture. It doesn't look real either.



I loved the setting of this pond. At least I assume it's a pond. I didn't see any water source for it and it was on the top of the mountain in Yosemite Park.

As you can tell, I had a hard time deciding which pictures to post. I took over 400 pictures today and was too tired to look at all of them after loading them on my computer. Carolee took at least that many, if not more. I just picked a few of the ones from different parts of the park and posted them instead of looking at each one of them.

Enjoy,
Love, US