Day Nine-July 17, 2008




We had a great day today traveling through South Dakota. Of course we saw miles and miles of "nothing", well I guess it wasn't "nothing". It was miles and miles of bare land. Nothing but hay fields and hay bales as far as the eye could see. You could see for miles on each side of Interstate 90 and you could go for miles and miles without seeing any houses. An occasional barn and outbuildings, but very few homes. The reason you could see so far is because it was totally FLAT!!! Not a hill in sight. This afternoon as we got closer to Rapid City, the terrain started to change and become more hilly and by the time we got to the campground at Deadwood, SD it was very hilly.
On the way here, we stopped at Murdo and explored "1880 Town", which is a town created by moving original buildings which were built in the 1880's. The buildings were furnished in 1880's style. They had a complete town set up, including a saloon, school, livery and stagecoach station. I felt really old when I recognized most of the "antiques". Teeheehee After all, we went to a one room schoolhouse and a small country church. We didn't have a saloon though!!! :>)
I'll try to post some of the pictures after I get them downloaded on my computer. I still have some I need to post from the Hannibal area.
I almost forgot. We also stopped at the Wall Drug Store. It became famous in the 1930 for giving away free icewater!! Go figure. As a matter of fact, they still give it away!!! It's pretty commercialized now and covers around 20,000 square feet. Lots of touristy stuff, which isn't my thing. I much prefer the nature things. But, I'm glad we went and got a drink of their free water. We didn't stay too long. Just enough to get the water and take a few pictures. They did have some beautiful stained glass "stuff".
I think we're going to hang around here for a couple of days. Mt. Rushmore is withing driving distance in our car, so I think we are going to drive there on Saturday. We may just relax and explore Deadwood tomorrow.
Catch ya later.