Day 21-July 29, 2008

Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Glacier National Park Montana awesome waterfall











Another waterfall











What a view of the snowcapped mountains above one of the many lakes in the park







Another view of the mountains and lake






Same mountain, different view








Snow on the mountain in July











Another view of the mountains










View of one of the many lakes in the mountains of Glacier Park





Driving down the road in the park









Chuck, Carolee and Donna when we stopped at one of the overlooks close to the top of the mountain range






Donna at one of the waterfalls









Carolee and Chuck at the same waterfall







Carolee and Chuck at one of the lakes near the bottom of the mountain range


Glacier National Park, Montana


I'm almost at a loss for words if you can believe it. Glacier National Park was undoubtedly the prettiest place I have ever seen. I hope you can at least get some idea of it's beauty from looking at the pictures I'm posting. Pictures just can't do some places justice and I think this is one of them. I took a lot of pictures and Carolee took more than I did. I was also filming with the camcorder. There were times I had the regular camera in one hand and the camcorder in the other trying to take pictures and film stuff at the same time. It was a hoot!!! I haven't looked at the camcorder stuff yet. Maybe tomorrow. I just got the pictures from yesterday and today loaded on the computer a few minutes ago. I'll be lucky to get the ones from Glacier uploaded tonight.
On the way from the campground in Shelby to Glacier, we passed through an indian reservation. It wasn't anything like I expected. I'm not sure exactly what I expected to see. Probably lots of teepees and horses. NOT!!!! Basically, it was hundreds of acres of fields. We saw one field of buffalo and a few fields with cattle, but mostly just huge fields. An occasional house and lots of trailers. There didn't seem to be a lot of farming or anything going on. Maybe we just weren't in the right place, but I sure did want to see the teepees. I did get to see some, but not on the Indian reservation. At some of the campgrounds, you can rent a teepee instead of a cabin!!! Wouldn't that be cool?? Of course, I'm sure the indians didn't have bright yellow teepees with bright blue trim!! Teeheehee
Anyway, the drive to the park was really nice, but when we actually entered the Park and started up the scenic route, we were just in awe. I think Merrell said it best. Something about being in God's back yard...................................
We drove the full circle around the park. I think we drove about 250 miles, but it was worth every bit of time we spent driving. They were doing some construction on top of the mountain. Building rock retaining walls (or replacing old ones?). We were sooooooooooooo high. I don't know if you all know it, but I have a horrible fear of heights. On the parts of the mountain that the retaining wall was on my side, I just held the camcorder out the window and aimed at "something" and kept my head turned away. Teeheehee I will be anxious to see what the film shows!!!!
At one of the places we stopped, we saw mountain goats. I got them on film and Carolee took pictures. Maybe she will post them later. The darn things just stood there and didn't CHARGE us or anything.............................................
It's hard to imagine snow that you can reach out and touch beside the road at the end of July and you're standing there in short sleeves and not a bit cold.
The waterfalls were breathtaking. The mountain was full of waterfalls. So many of them were so far away that I couldn't zoom the camera in enough to get a clear picture. The camcorder would zoom in more so I hope I got them on film. There were a few right beside the road and we got some good pictures of them.
There are lots of lakes there too. Beautiful blue water and the sky was so blue, especially on top of the mountain. I wish I was a poet. I would write a sonnet or something equally wonderful. But, since I'm not you will just have imagine how good it would be!! LOL
Merrell especially liked the one stream that he said was a "trout" stream. We stopped and he walked down to the water. He said it was COLD water. I'm sure it was from all of the snow on top of the mountain melting and running down into the stream.
It was such an amazing day that I can't begin to cover it all. Just look at the pictures and remember that it was twice as beautiful as the pictures show.
We were all tired when we got back to the campground, but it was so worth the time we took to go.
I hope you enjoy the pictures half as much as we enjoyed being there to take them.